from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See frying pan. See Regional Notes at andiron, frying pan.
- n. Chiefly British A long-handled stewing pan or saucepan sometimes having legs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A pan for frying, generally large and heavy.
- n. A dish or meal cooked in such a pan.
- n. Cooked in a skillet.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small vessel of iron, copper, or other metal, with a handle, used for culinary purpose, as for stewing meat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small vessel of iron, copper, or other metal, generally having a long nandle and three or Four legs, used for heating and boiling water, stewing meat, and other culinary purposes.
- n. A rattle or bell used by common criers.
- n. A ship's cook; a “pot-wrestler” or potwalloper.
- n. In metal-working, a form into which the precious metals are run for sale and use as bullion, flatter than an ingot.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a pan used for frying foods
If the skillet is deep it might be a #8 chicken fryer rather than a dutch oven.
While I personally appreciate the fact that I have more than a few pans in my kitchen already, a cast iron skillet is certainly a versatile and affordable tool.
Some say that a cast iron skillet is the only piece of cookware that they really need in order to cook all of their favorite foods.
Pour all but about 2 ounces of the beer over onions in skillet and cook them down over medium heat, stirring occasionally until all beer evaporates and onions are soft.
Kathryn, put the eggs in skillet, put some biscuits in the oven, Bocephus, we going to sop some biscuits directly.
Fry bacon in skillet until brown; remove from skillet and set aside ...
Brown squirrels in skillet with small amount of fat.
When they have finished popping, removed the skillet from the heat and add the cumin seeds, cayenne, asafetida and turmeric.
A good pot of pinto beans "doctored" up with a little salsa and served along side a big, warm wedge of corn bread hot out of a black iron skillet is DEFINATELY comfort food for this native Texan!!
Heat fat in skillet, and cook patties for a few minutes on each side.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.