from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A device, such as a fuse or percussion cap, used to set off an explosive charge.
- n. An explosive.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A device used to detonate an explosive device etc.
- n. a small explosive device attached to the railhead to provide an audible warning when a train passes over it.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An explosive whose action is practically instantaneous.
- n. Something used to detonate a charge, as a detonating fuse.
- n. A case containing detonating powder, the explosion of which serves as a signal, as on railroads.
- n. A gun fired by a percussion cap.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That which detonates; it detonating preparation; a percussion-cap.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mechanical or electrical explosive device or a small amount of explosive; can be used to initiate the reaction of a disrupting explosive
detonate + -or (Wiktionary)