from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun One that fills, as.
  • noun Something added to augment weight or size or fill space.
  • noun A composition, especially a semisolid that hardens on drying, used to fill pores, cracks, or holes in wood, plaster, or other construction surfaces before finishing.
  • noun Tobacco used to form the body of a cigar.
  • noun A short item used to fill space in a publication.
  • noun Something, such as a news item, public-service message, or music, used to fill time in a radio or television presentation.
  • noun A sheaf of loose papers used to fill a notebook or binder.
  • noun Architecture An element, such as a plate, used to fill the space between two supporting members.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A thill-horse: same as thiller.
  • noun A current subsidary coin of Hungary, the hundredth part of a krona, equivalent to two tenths of a United States cent.
  • noun One who or that which fills; especially, a vessel or utensil for conveying a liquid into a bottle, cask, etc.; a funnel.
  • noun That which serves to fill up or supply a vacancy; a filling.
  • noun In painting, a material applied to the bare wood for the purpose of filling the grain, thus making a smooth surface for the reception of the coat of paint or varnish. Fillers may be a liquid like varnish, or a paste composed of linseed-oil and any material with a tendency to force its way into the grain of the wood, as silica, powdered glass, or ground slate. They are transparent and do not mar the beauty of the wood.
  • noun The tobacco which makes the body of a cigar, as distinguished from the wrapper.
  • noun A machine for filling bottles, cans, or bags with liquids or dry materials.
  • noun In horticulture, a tree that is planted in an orchard temporarily, to be removed when the trees of the regular planting and of more enduring character are well grown and occupy the land.
  • noun In the manufacture of plastic materials, a solid substance, such as wood fiber or mineral powders, used to give greater consistence to a viscid constituent, such as collodion or a fused resin.
  • noun In engineering: A longitudinal timber or other material placed between two parallel members, as a timber placed between two steel I-beams to stiffen them and to enable them to act as one beam.
  • noun A hollow cylindrical pipe or spool through which a bolt is passed to fasten together two parallel beams or struts. The bolt in conjunction with the filler prevents the two beams or struts from spreading apart and from moving too close together.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun One who, or that which, fills; something used for filling.
  • noun (Paint.) A composition, as of powdered silica and oil, used to fill the pores and grain of wood before applying paint, varnish, etc.
  • noun (Forestry) Any standing tree or standard higher than the surrounding coppice in the form of forest known as coppice under standards. Chiefly used in the pl.
  • noun Prov. Eng. A thill horse.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun Something added to fill a space or add weight or size.
  • noun Any semisolid substance used to fill gaps, cracks or pores.
  • noun A relatively inert ingredient added to modify physical characteristics.
  • noun A short article in a newspaper or magazine.
  • noun A short piece of music or an announcement between radio or TV programmes.
  • noun Any spoken sound or word used to fill gaps in speech; filled pause.
  • noun Cut tobacco used to make up the body of a cigar.
  • noun computing In COBOL, the description of an unnamed part of a record that contains no data relevant to a given context.
  • noun horticulture A plant that lacks a distinctive shape and can fill inconvenient spaces around other plants in pots or gardens.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun copy to fill space between more important articles in the layout of a magazine or newspaper
  • noun used for filling cracks or holes in a surface
  • noun anything added to fill out a whole
  • noun 100 filler equal 1 forint in Hungary
  • noun the tobacco used to form the core of a cigar


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

to fill + -er


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word filler.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.