from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A wad.
  • noun Wads considered as a group.
  • noun A soft layer of cotton, wool, or other fibrous material used for padding or stuffing.
  • noun Material for gun wads.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun Wads collectively; stuffing; specifically, carded cotton or wool used to line or stuff articles of dress, the surface of the spongy web of carded material being covered with tissue-paper or with a coat of size.
  • noun Material for gun-wads.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun A wad, or the materials for wads; any pliable substance of which wads may be made.
  • noun Any soft stuff of loose texture, used for stuffing or padding garments; esp., sheets of carded cotton prepared for the purpose.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun wads collectively
  • noun soft, fibrous cotton or wool used to make a wad, or as a packaging material

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun any material used especially to protect something


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word wadding.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • "WADDING, in gunnery, is the hay, or tow that is rolled up to place upon the charge." (citation in list description)

    October 9, 2008