from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A lustrous colored reflection from certain planes in a mineral grain.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A bronze-like lustre observed in certain minerals, such as hypersthene, due to the presence of minute parallel inclusions.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The peculiar bronzelike luster observed in certain minerals, as hypersthene, schiller spar, etc. It is due to the presence of minute inclusions in parallel position, and is sometimes of secondary origin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A peculiar, nearly metallic luster, sometimes accompanied by iridescence, observed on some minerals, as hyper-sthene, and due to internal reflection from microscopic inclusions: in some cases this is an effect produced by alteration.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. German romantic writer (1759-1805)
German, iridescence, from Middle High German schilher, iridescent taffeta, from schilhen, to twinkle, squint, from Old High German scilihen, to squint, wink.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
German Schiller ("play of colours"). (Wiktionary)