American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act or sport of skiing in a zigzag course.
- n. A race on skis or in vehicles along such a course, laid out with markers such as flags.
- v. To race in or as if in a slalom.
- v. To waterski using a single ski designed so the feet are secured one behind the other.
- n. uncountable, sports The sport of skiing in a zigzag course through gates. (Often used attributively)
- n. uncountable Any similar activity on other vehicles, including canoes and water skis.
- n. countable, sports A course used for the sport of slalom.
- n. countable, sports A race or competition wherein participants each perform the sport of slalom.
- v. intransitive To race in a slalom.
- n. a downhill race over a winding course defined by upright poles
- v. race on skis around obstacles
- From Norwegian sla ("steep, hill side") and låm ("trail"). (Wiktionary)
- Norwegian slalåm : slad, sloping + låm, path. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The modern slalom is an invention of my own, and I am always sorry that I used the old Norwegian word slalom for a form of competition which has nothing in common with the”
“She was a heavy prerace favorite, as the 2009 world champion in slalom — when she left Zahrobska with silver — and current leader in the season-long World Cup discipline standings.”
“MILLER'S RUN: Bode Miller DNFs in slalom, but leaves with medal haul”
“Tomba won the gold in slalom at the 1988 Calgary Games.”
“The 21-year-old skier had his World Cup breakthrough this season with a couple of podium finishes in slalom but hadn't won a top-level race until his combined gold in Torino.”
“The slalom is scheduled for Wednesday and the giant slalom for Friday.”
“Others in slalom: Lindsey Kildow ninth, Sarah Schleper tied for 14th, Julia Mancuso 16th, Lauren Ross 24th, Resi Stiegler 27th.”
“He first tasted success in slalom events but has become a top downhiller, as well.”
“Sweden's Anja Paerson, the defending silver medalist who won gold in slalom on Wednesday, was second by 0.18 after the first run but faded to sixth.”
“The giant slalom is Kildow's weakest event and she chose to begin healing to prepare for the World Cup finals in Are in mid-March.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘slalom’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words I come across while reading.
By David Mitchell
portend... omen.../whats to come
Looking for tweets for slalom.