from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. down, downward; to or in a lower place.
- prep. down
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. From a higher to a lower situation; downward; down, to or on the ground.
- prep. Down.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- From a higher to a lower part; downward; down; to or on the ground.
- From a higher to a lower situation; down: implying descent.
- From top to bottom of; along the length of; downward; all along.
Old English adūn, earlier of dūne ("off the hill") (compare Latin ad vallum > Old French à val, used in the same way). (Wiktionary)