from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The direction or point on the mariner's compass halfway between due north and due east, or 45° east of due north.
- n. An area or region lying in the northeast.
- n. A region of the northeast United States, generally including the New England states, New York, and sometimes Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
- adj. To, toward, of, facing, or in the northeast.
- adj. Originating in or coming from the northeast: a northeast wind.
- adv. In, from, or toward the northeast.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The compass point halfway between north and east, specifically 45°, abbreviated as NE.
- adj. Towards the northeast; northeastward.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the northeast; northeastern.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The point between the north and east, at an equal distance from each; the northeast part or region.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the northeast; proceeding toward the northeast, or coming from that point
- adv. Toward the northeast.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That point on the horizon between north and east which is equally distant from them; N. 45˚ E., or E. 45˚ N.
- Pertaining to the northeast; proceeding from or directed toward that point; northeastern: as, a northeast wind; to hold a northeast course. Abbreviated N. E.
- To or from the northeast.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. to, toward, or in the northeast
- adj. situated in or oriented toward the northeast
- adj. coming from the northeast
- n. the direction corresponding to the northeastward compass point
- n. the compass point midway between north and east; at 45 degrees
- n. the northeastern region of the United States
- n. a location in the northeastern part of a country, region, or city
From north + east. (Wiktionary)