from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Western lands or regions; the west.
- n. The countries of Europe and the Western Hemisphere.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The part of the horizon where the sun last appears in the evening; that part of the earth towards the sunset; the west; – opposed to orient. Specifically, in former times, Europe as opposed to Asia; now, also, the Western hemisphere.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The part of the horizon where the sun last appears in the evening; that part of the earth towards the sunset; the west; -- opposed to
orient. Specifically, in former times, Europe as opposed to Asia; now, also, the Western hemisphere.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The region of the setting sun; the western part of the heavens; the west: opposed to orient.
- n. [cap. or lowercase] With the definite article, the west; western countries; specifically, those countries lying to the west of Asia and of that part of eastern Europe now or formerly constituting in general European Turkey; Christendom. Various countries, as Russia, may be classed either in the Occident or in the Orient.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the countries of (originally) Europe and (now including) North America and South America
- n. the hemisphere that includes North America and South America
Occasus derives from occident-em, "setting," and signifies a westerly "falling, going down."
An answer to this will be the key to occident and oriental debate.
Can Western fantasy ever truly deal with the non-occident?
Thatâ€ ™ s not to say Western fantasy authors shouldnâ€ ™ t tackle the non-occident but they need to be wary of the many pitfalls.
'And I told him how I felt the need to approach all that by living the experience internally, all united - people from the orient and the occident - in a vast movement of love, because it is the only cement possible to build 'something else'.
Turkey should be a part of the EU, a bridge between the occident and the orient, but only after it has evolved into the twenty-first century.
Isaac, J. (1953), Le Peri hermeneias en occident de BoÃ¨ce Ã Saint Thomas.
La réalisatrice, Mira Nair, est déjà connue en occident pour son film Salaam Bombay!
Note and observe that this doth argue and portend I know not what of the west and occident of my time, and signifieth that the south and meridian of mine age is past.
Et dixit Abraham, Quia dixi, Vere non est timor Dei in loco isto: et occident me propter uxorem meam.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.