American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The event or time of the daily disappearance of the sun below the western horizon.
- n. A decline or final phase: the sunset of an empire.
- adj. Providing for the automatic termination of a government program or agency unless deliberately reauthorized by law: a state-funded program with a sunset provision.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The descent of the upper limb of the sun below the horizon in the evening; the atmospheric phenomena accompanying the setting of the sun; the time when the sun sets; evening.
- n. Hence Figuratively, the close or decline.
- n. The region or quarter where the sun sets; the west. Compare sunrising, 2.
- n. The time of day when the sun disappears below the western horizon.
- n. The changes in color of the sky at sunset.
- n. figuratively The final period of the life of a person or thing.
- n. attributively Having a set termination date.
- n. The region where the sun sets; the west.
- v. business, politics, transitive To phase out.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The descent of the sun below the horizon; also, the time when the sun sets; evening. Also used figuratively.
- n. Hence, the region where the sun sets; the west.
- adj. providing for termination
- n. atmospheric phenomena accompanying the daily disappearance of the sun
- n. the daily event of the sun sinking below the horizon
- n. the time in the evening at which the sun begins to fall below the horizon
- adj. of a declining industry or technology
- sun + set. In Gower's Confessio Amantis, before 1393. (Wiktionary)
“Sure, driving off into the sunset is a bit schmaltzy but I lke all the rest of it far more than the cliche of jumping on a grenade to save everyone.”
“I have heard people say the sunset is a lonely time, when fears come out, and apprehensions creep over them ... and all their troubles come trooping home.”
“One evening, when work was over, we found him walking the forecastle, taking what he called his sunset food shaker, in a more than usually thoughtful mood.”
“Yes | No | Report from faze631 wrote 2 weeks 6 days ago if you bring one thing bring a back track. finding your way back to camp after venturing out into the woods racing the sunset is not fun. they sell the bushnell backtrack almost everywhere cabelas, bass pro, sports authority dicks modells probably even kmart”
“The sun has just set beneath the shadows of the buildings around me, although the light of sunset is reflected in the river, giving everything around me a crimson glow as night begins to creep into the eastern sky.”
“The light of sunset is reflected in the Liffey, giving everything around me a crimson glow as night begins to creep up the eastern sky.”
“Time zones exist so that the sunrise and sunset is somewhat regular throughout the world.”
“Now we're sixty, and the sunset is neither russet nor gold, but the shadows of dead trees are lovely tonight.”
“August 29th, 2009 11: 41 pm ET how fitting it was for him to be buried at night and it rain during his funeral this morning. it was very symbolic. the meaning behind the rain was that the state of massachusetts raining tears of sadness for losing a native son. the meaning of the burial not happening until sunset is it being the end of that generation of political service.”
“You know, you think you're remembering a certain sunset that changed your life, but the memory is alloyed with other sunsets or sunsets in poetry and so on.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sunset’.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
US Congress/Senate + Westminster + European Parliament usage
tiara's color lists rebuilt :)
( visual, colors, multi, descriptive, randomness )
Words with definitions containing "figuratively."
Words with definitions that have a "hence" in them.
Favorite designs for shower curtains. Inspired by the list Top 500 SAT Words Shower Curtain by jwjarvis.
Names of military trumpet and bugle calls from around the world.
I attempt to list them using spellings in the particular language of the country if possible. Thus, there will be names...
Looking for tweets for sunset.