American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Situated toward the north.
- adj. Coming or being from the north: northerly winds.
- n. A storm or wind coming from the north.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or being in or toward the north; northern.
- Proceeding from the north.
- Toward the north: as, to sail northerly.
- n. A wind blowing from the north.
- adj. Facing the north; directed towards the north.
- adj. Located in a northern region
- adj. Coming from the north.
- adv. In an northward direction or position; towards the north.
- adv. From the north.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to the north; toward the north, or from the north; northern.
- adv. Toward the north.
- adj. situated in or oriented toward the north
- n. a wind that blows from the north
- adv. in a northern direction
- adj. coming from the north; used especially of wind
“It is proposed to intersect this block, to break it up, by opening a thoroughfare known as Cambrai Avenue which would run northerly from the north side of Front Street and immediately to the east of the Royal York Hotel, running northerly to Pearl Street at a width of 100 feet.”
“I remember Lawrence Burger drove his mom's burgundy Oldsmobile, and I'd slide over in the middle seat next to him as we trolled the mean streets of suburban Don Mills, aka my northerly suburb of Toronto.”
“Thus, a wind from the north blowing toward the south is called a northerly wind.”
“More generally these winds are classified as northerly or southerly.”
“Whithorn was famous also for its early schools and monastery, and exercised no small influence in Christianising both the surrounding district and Northumbria, or what is now known as the northerly parts of”
“Again a site on the shores of James Bay seems like a very odd inclusion as a South site, if it is, as its climate would be far more "northerly" than Gotland or Jaemtland.”
“Nugent, when, about ten o'clock, they observed a strong northerly blast rising, and they accordingly put in for port.”
“As for us, we will have to divert from our usual drive in Southeastern Veracruz State on our way to Chiapas and check out the more northerly sites recommended by JohnTodd.”
“The first looks like it will pass too far south, late Sunday into early Monday, to bring us precipitation, though a more northerly track or turn to the north can't be totally ruled out yet.”
“A few milliseconds after hitting the spacecraft, the beam struck a more northerly section of Earth's magnetic field ...”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘northerly’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for northerly.