from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, growing in, or inhabiting mountain areas.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Mountainous; specifically, pertaining to the cool, moist upland slopes below the timberline.
- n. Flora and fauna of a montane habitat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Mountainous; belonging or relating to mountains: as, a montane fauna.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or inhabiting mountainous regions
Latin montānus, from mōns, mont-, mountain; see men-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin montānus ("mountainous"). (Wiktionary)