from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An inhabitant.
- n. An inhabitant of French descent living in Canada, especially Quebec, or in Louisiana.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a member of habitation colony at Stadacona founded by Samuel de Champlain, where Quebec City now lies
- n. Inhabitant, dweller.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An inhabitant; a dweller.
- n. An inhabitant or resident; -- a name applied to and denoting farmers of French descent or origin in Canada, especially in the Province of Quebec; -- usually in the plural.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dweller; a resident; an inhabitant.
- n. Specifically A native of Canada of French descent, especially of the farming or peasant class.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who inhabits a particular place
Middle English, from Old French, from present participle of habiter, to dwell, from Latin habitāre; see habitable.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)