from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, lives.
- n. A resident; a dweller.
- n. One whose course of life has some marked characteristic (expressed by an adjective).
- n. A very large glandular and vascular organ in the visceral cavity of all vertebrates.
- n. The glossy ibis (Ibis falcinellus); -- said to have given its name to the city of Liverpool.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To deliver.
- n. One who lives or has life; one who continues to live.
- n. One who resides; a resident; a dweller: as, a liver in Glasgow.
- n. One who lives in a certain manner, the manner being expressed by an adjective: as, a good or evil liver, a fast liver, a loose liver (that is, a person of good or evil, fast, or loose habits); a good liver, a hearty liver (one addicted to good living or high feeding).
- n. In anatomy, a large gland, secreting bile and performing other important metabolic functions, situated in the upper part of the abdominal cavity on the right side.
- n. Hence The bay or glossy ibis, Falcinellus igneus, which when adult has the plumage chiefly liver-colored or hepatic.
- n. A fabulous bird borne upon the arms of Liverpool, England, traditionally supposed to have given a part of the name of that city. It has been variously identified. See liver, 2.
- n. Temper, or irritation, as a result of a disorder of the liver.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who has a special life style
- n. liver of an animal used as meat
- n. someone who lives in a place
- adj. having a reddish-brown color
- n. large and complicated reddish-brown glandular organ located in the upper right portion of the abdominal cavity; secretes bile and functions in metabolism of protein and carbohydrate and fat; synthesizes substances involved in the clotting of the blood; synthesizes vitamin A; detoxifies poisonous substances and breaks down worn-out erythrocytes
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Liver is always a good bait for catfish, as are worms, but I prefer to use shad over almost every other bait for catfish.
McCain waving to his volunteer campaign squad, aka The Liver Spots.
OK, that's it: I'm opening a delicatessen called Liver of Blaspheming Jew.
I stared up at the withered old man I'd called Liver Spots, and behind the loose skin, the wrinkles, the white wiry hair, I could see the man who had been one of the Order of the Blackened Denarius.
Boho Bistro, and turned the back half into a cozy 30-seat pub called The Liver Bird.
FatCat will release a live and mostly-acoustic version of Midnight Organ Fight, titled Liver!
Liver - a story cycle called Liver - doesn't exactly promise sales.
The Five Element relationship that is most prevalent in breast cancer is called Liver invading Spleen.
Slide 2: The Liver is the Major Detoxifying Organ The liver utilizes a two-phase system in detoxifying the body of harmful substances: • 1st: Transforms toxins into more water - soluble compounds that are then carried through the blood to the liver for further processing, or to the kidney for elimination. • 2nd: Completing the detoxification in the liver and sending the toxins back to the kidney for elimination, or into the bile for elimination via the GI tract.
"Liver," "lumbago," and other small ills the flesh is heir to, have been making me very lazy lately, especially about letter-writing.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.