from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A native or inhabitant of Galilee.
- n. A Christian.
- n. Jesus.
- adj. Of or relating to Galilee or its people.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of or pertaining to Galilee, or a native or inhabitant thereof.
- adj. of or pertaining to the philosopher Galileo Galilei.
- n. A native or resident of Galilee.
- n. A zealous follower of Judas of Galilee, who fiercely resented the taxation of the Romans, and whose violence contributed to induce the latter to vow the extermination of the whole race.
- n. A Christian.
- proper n. Jesus Christ.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Galileo. See telescope.
- adj. Of or relating to Galilee.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Galilee, the northern province of Palestine under the Romans.
- n. One of the party among the Jews, who opposed the payment of tribute to the Romans; -- called also Gaulonite.
- n. A Christian in general; -- used as a term of reproach by Mohammedans and Pagans.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to Galilee, the northernmost division of Palestine in the time of Christ, lying north of Samaria.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of Galilee.
- n. One of a class among the Jews who opposed the payment of tribute to the Romans about the time of the emperor Augustus.
- n. A Christian, as a follower of Jesus Christ, called the Galilean: used by the ancient Jews in contempt.
- Of or pertaining to Galileo, a great Italian mathematician and natural philosopher (1564-1642), who laid the foundations of the science of dynamics.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an inhabitant of Galilee (an epithet of Jesus Christ)
- adj. of or relating to Galileo or his works
- n. one of the four satellites of Jupiter that were discovered by Galileo
- adj. of or relating to Galilee or its inhabitants
Sorry, no etymologies found.