American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the Aegean Sea.
- adj. Of or relating to the Bronze Age civilization that flourished in the area of the Aegean Sea, as at Crete.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name often applied to that part of the Mediterranean sea otherwise called the Archipelago.
- adj. Of, or relating to the Aegean Sea or the regions bordering it.
- adj. Of, or relating to the Bronze Age civilization in that region.
- n. The Aegean Sea.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to the sea, or arm of the Mediterranean sea, east of Greece. See archipelago.
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of the prehistoric Aegean civilization
- adj. of or relating to or bordering the Aegean Sea
- n. an arm of the Mediterranean between Greece and Turkey; a main trade route for the ancient civilizations of Crete and Greece and Rome and Persia
- Latin Aegaeus (from Ancient Greek Αἰγαῖος (Aigaios, "Aegean")) + English -an (Wiktionary)
“The eastern part contains several minor seas, of which the one called the Aegean had most importance in Greek history.”
“Integrating these new data with previous geological, geomorphological, and archaeoseismological work is leading us to the conclusion that the Sagalassos lineament is an "Aegean" - type normal fault on which historical seismic activity has occurred.”
“The Isparta Cay lineament 15 km southeast of the city shows all characteristics of an "Aegean" - type normal fault.”
“The Australian Government urges the two nations to resolve the emergent differences in the Aegean, which is critical for the peace and stability of the region.”
“The other reason is that for much of the Bronze Age, the Aegean was a "whirling confusion.”
“But the Aegean is a tricky sea, and furnishes many surprises, as St. Paul knew, and, when not more than ten miles from the shelter of the Cretan coast, it came on to blow from the southwest with such violence that we were unable to beat up to the shelter of the Cretan highlands, and under a mere rag of canvas had to run before the wind, wherever it might drive us.”
“Greek islands guide: A literary Odyssey of island life Nigel McGilchrist's self-published 20-part series on the islands of the Aegean is an undertaking of epic proportions.”
“This was enough to tempt Marfin, and then Simigdalas, who had favoured the idea of Aegean making a move for it.”
“Greek air space violations and overflying Greek islands in the Aegean are a daily routine leading to dogfights.”
“But the Aegean is a sea; it has never had stables.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Aegean’.
A list of words which yield surprising, beautiful, amusing, or otherwise noteworthy images here on Wordnik.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
This list includes domestic cat breeds and domestic/wild hybrids.
Abyssinian, Aegean, American Bobtail, American Curl, American Longhair, American Polydactyl, American Shorthair, American Wirehair, Asian, Asian Semi-longhair, Australian Mist, Balinese and 80 more...
Looking for tweets for Aegean.