from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several flightless birds of the genus Apteryx native to New Zealand, having vestigial wings and a long slender bill. Also called apteryx.
- n. Informal A New Zealander.
- n. A kiwifruit.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A flightless bird of the genus Apteryx native to New Zealand.
- n. A person from New Zealand - (preferably Kiwi).
- n. A New Zealand dollar.
- n. A kiwi fruit - not used in New Zealand where the full name is used.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The apteryx.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a native or inhabitant of New Zealand
- n. nocturnal flightless bird of New Zealand having a long neck and stout legs; only surviving representative of the order Apterygiformes
- n. climbing vine native to China; cultivated in New Zealand for its fuzzy edible fruit with green meat
- n. fuzzy brown egg-shaped fruit with slightly tart green flesh
Maori, imitative of the call of male kiwis. Sense 3, short for kiwifruit.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Maori kiwi. (Wiktionary)