from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A predilection for the sentimental.
- n. An idea or expression marked by excessive sentiment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A liking for sentimental things
- n. An overly sentimental thing or condition; bathos or sentimentality
- n. A view according to which morality is somehow grounded in moral sentiments or emotions.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality of being sentimental; the character or behavior of a sentimentalist; sentimentality.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Tendency to be swayed by sentiment; affected sensibility or sentiment; mawkish susceptibility; specifically, the philosophy of Rousseau and others, which gave great weight to the impulses of a susceptible heart.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the excessive expression of tender feelings, nostalgia, or sadness in any form
- n. a predilection for sentimentality
sentimental + -ism (Wiktionary)