from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having the temperament of one born under the supposed astrological influence of Saturn.
- adj. Melancholy or sullen.
- adj. Having or marked by a tendency to be bitter or sardonic: a saturnine expression on his face.
- adj. Produced by absorption of lead.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of or born under Saturn's influence
- adj. containing lead, or suffering from lead poisoning (saturnia)
- adj. cold and slow to change and react (refers to mood)
- adj. gloomy, depressed, dull
- adj. sardonic, bitter, disdainful
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Born under, or influenced by, the planet Saturn.
- adj. Heavy; grave; gloomy; dull; -- the opposite of
- adj. Of or pertaining to lead; characterized by, or resembling, lead, which was formerly called Saturn.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the god Saturn or the planet Saturn; under the influence of the planet Saturn.
- [lowercase] Morose; dull; heavy; grave; not readily susceptible to excitement or cheerfulness; phlegmatic.
- [lowercase] Arousing no interest; stupid; dull; uninteresting.
- [lowercase] In old chemistry, pertaining to lead: as, saturnine compounds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. bitter or scornful
- adj. showing a brooding ill humor
Saturn + -ine (Wiktionary)