American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Irritated, impatient, or exasperated; peevish: a testy cab driver; a testy refusal to help.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Irritable; irascible; choleric; cross; petulant.
- Synonyms Pettish, touchy, waspish, snappish, peevish, splenetic, captious, peppery.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Fretful; peevish; petulant; easily irritated.
- adj. easily irritated or annoyed
- Middle English testif ("headstrong"), from Old French testu, from teste ("head") + -u. Compare modern French tête ("head"), têtu ("stubborn"). (Wiktionary)
- Alteration of Middle English testif, headstrong, from Old French testu, from teste, head, from Late Latin testa, skull; see teston. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“She seems to think getting testy is that same as showing strength.”
“She comes back, a little testy: "Pollo is the Spanish word for CHICKEN!”
“I especially loved the way she said "testy" - a defining Venetian characteristic”
“Mr. Benn described as testy an exchange of letters between the two leaders over the Fissile Material Cut-Off Treaty.”
“There was only one moment where it approached 'testy' and I swear I saw a set of rolled eyeballs.”
“Sen. Sam Brownback (Kan.) described the meeting as "testy," and Sen. John Thune (S.D.) called it a "lively discussion.”
“Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.), on the other hand, called the meeting "testy," while Sen. John Thune (R-S. D.) gave it the less conflictual title of a "lively discussion.”
“Roseanne Barr: Being hated and hunted and blamed for your own suffering makes people kind of testy, nervous, and on edge, and often fundamentalist and extreme.”
“I have to say that while I find her periodically "testy", shall we say, I dare say that I myself would be "testy" on a fairly regular basis were I working every day with the City Hall crowd.”
“As promised below, here's our longer post, with video, about ABC's report yesterday on Obama's allegedly "testy" exchange with a reporter in South Carolina. print share”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘testy’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
What a -Y does to an otherwise common, dull word
Negative attributes or actions.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 1972 more...
she's such a joy.
ahh these hurt.....
A myriad of game-changing words every Scrabble addict must have in his arsenal.
Keep in mind that these are all tried-and-true feasibly playable words selected for their handiness, i.e...
Words as I learn them.
a list of the words i HAVE to know..
Okay, mostly on Wordie. But it's more fun here anyway.
The qualities of The Diva. Social skills, playful yet bitchy.
Looking for tweets for testy.