American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Lacking the faculty of speech.
- adj. Temporarily unable to speak, as through astonishment.
- adj. Refraining from speech; silent.
- adj. Unexpressed or inexpressible in words: speechless admiration.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not having or not using the faculty of speech; unable to speak; dumb; mute.
- Refraining or restrained from speech; not speaking, either of purpose or from present inability: as, to stand speechless before one′ s accusers; speechless from terror.
- Characterized by the absence of speech; unexpressed; unattended by spoken words.
- Using few words; concise.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Destitute or deprived of the faculty of speech.
- adj. Not speaking for a time; dumb; mute; silent.
- adj. temporarily incapable of speaking
- From speech + -less (Wiktionary)
“The stone walls and wooden elements of the house are impressive design elements, but what can really leave one speechless is the natural environment.”
“And speechless is not the right word either, because he ends up saying one word.”
“But Dick hushed him with a warning glance directed toward Oh Dear who still held the bronze spurs in speechless helplessness.”
“Hegan shook his head in speechless sadness and continued to stare.”
“I look at her in speechless conspiratorial despair and .. her lips form the silent word “Help!”.”
“I have found the easiest way to render a moonbat speechless is to ask them to back up their rant of the moment with facts.”
“If your reading group has decided to treat itself to a Mooreland sojourn, you'll discover that there's plenty to say about the town's most imaginative little girl (even if she did remain speechless until age three).”
“The suddenness and the vastness of it took away the breath of the old chief, Kow-Whi, and he could only gaze in speechless wonder.”
“They clung to each other in speechless satisfaction as Uncle Henry guided the surrey up to the marble stepping-stone.”
“Then, forgetting her fright, she stood staring in speechless amazement.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘speechless’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
words for quiet sounds
( randomness, descriptive )
Words ending with *more or *less, more or less. Many of theses terms also appear on the list The -less Said, which see.
Words that have only one of the vowels. On this list I include only words with at least three vowels. When I first started the list, if a word had several forms, I generally listed only the one wit...
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
by John Brehm
Iâ€™m so wildly unprolific, the poems
I have not written would reach
from here to the California coast
if you laid them end to end.
And if ...
Looking for tweets for speechless.