American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To convert (wood or other organic matter) into a stony replica by petrifaction.
- v. To cause to become stiff or stonelike; deaden.
- v. To stun or paralyze with terror; daze.
- v. To become stony, especially by petrifaction.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To convert into stone or a stony substance; change into stone.
- To make hard as stone; render hard or callous: as, to petrify the heart.
- To paralyze or stupefy as with fear or amazement: as, to petrify one with astonishment.
- To become stone or of a stony hardness, as organic matter by means of calcareous or other deposits in its cavities; hence, to change into lifeless hardness or rigidity.
- v. To harden organic matter by permeating with water and depositing dissolved minerals.
- v. To produce rigidness akin to stone.
- v. To immobilize with fright.
- v. intransitive To become stone, or of a stony hardness, as organic matter by calcareous deposits.
- v. intransitive, figuratively To become stony, callous, or obdurate.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To convert, as any animal or vegetable matter, into stone or stony substance.
- v. To make callous or obdurate; to stupefy; to paralyze; to transform; as by petrifaction.
- v. To become stone, or of a stony hardness, as organic matter by calcareous deposits.
- v. Fig.: To become stony, callous, or obdurate.
- v. cause to become stonelike or stiff or dazed and stunned
- v. change into stone
- v. make rigid and set into a conventional pattern
- From Medieval Latin petrificare, from petra ("rock") (Wiktionary)
- Middle English petrifien, to harden, from Old French petrifier : Latin petra, rock (from Greek petrā) + Old French -fier, -fy. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The build-up of petrify occurs when petrify is churned in colder weather.”
“TIFF image. iBlaze 3.0 now allows you to "petrify" an electronic document as either color or black & white.”
“We shouldn't "petrify" him but continue to think for ourselves and our times utilizing his insights and, more importantly, his approach. (my take)”
“MSNBC's Ed Schultz said the outcome left "Republicans scrambling" while the Washington Post's E.J. Dionne said "it will petrify" Republicans.”
“The welfare states as follows: Yes, Dave Schwarz is part owners of a petrify association with Victor Li, Gregor Fischer, Michael Lepech, Tim Schwarz, as well as Deb Schwarz.”
“Dave explained which by a freeze thaw cycles it deteriorates a petrify if a H2O is pumped out of a siphons.”
“Dave sensitive a members of a Board which a organisation was cleaning a petrify mixer.”
“BCPT has supposing BRP with giveaway engineering services is courtesy to petrify correct to petrify correct upon Project structures.”
“My knuckles would be burger meat, my lungs would break my ribs, my throat would cut and chafe on the impossible proclamation, would scab and petrify, vanity, I'd bleed the truth out in a dribble.”
“Heights petrify me, so a quick decent on a plastic toboggan would be prime.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘petrify’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
put words in their place
based upon per- indo-european root
Looking for tweets for petrify.