from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To dull the senses or faculties of. See Synonyms at daze.
- transitive v. To amaze; astonish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To dull the senses or capacity to think thereby reducing responsiveness; to dazzle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To make stupid; to make dull; to blunt the faculty of perception or understanding in; to deprive of sensibility; to make torpid.
- transitive v. To deprive of material mobility.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make stupid or torpid; blunt the faculties of: deprive of sensibility by any means; make dull or dead to external influences: as, to be stupefied by a blow on the head, by strong drink, or by grief.
- To deprive of mobility: said of a substance or material.
- To become stupid or torpid; lose interest or sensibility; grow dull.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. be a mystery or bewildering to
- v. make dull or stupid or muddle with drunkenness or infatuation
- v. make senseless or dizzy by or as if by a blow
Of course, I aim to stupefy, which is why I've posted the one track that's probably the most different from the original.
He is accused of using date rape drugs dissolved in champagne to "stupefy" his victims before attacking them in the back of the cab.
John Worboys is accused of using date rape drugs dissolved in champagne to "stupefy" his victims before attacking them in the back of the cab.
In a thematic follow-up to the Food Court Musical, the merrymakers headed to a grocery store to stupefy and delight its patrons.
Here now, a hot factoid of curious news that will stupefy your parents and confound any extant grandparents and make many fundamentalists and most Mormons clutch their dogmas to their quivering breasts in mild but surefire panic.
Six Missouri republicans -- "the stupefy me six," let's call them -- are hard at work trying to make Missouri kids stupid.
If it had been torrential rain, children wouldn't have been out, but it was blazing sunshine so the men bought disguises and alcopops to stupefy the children.
The universe graciously bestowed upon me [John Jameson Finest Irish Whiskey/astonishingly loud rock and roll music/movies about asteroids sharks and dinosaurs] so that from time to time I might blissfully stupefy myself and maybe even sleep for more than four hours in a row.
I am not referring to the lack of attention caused by enough drugs to stupefy a rhinoceros -- though that was a factor for me, too.
Even though they have had their foulabuster taken away from them, they can still can still use tactics designed to run out the clock and stupefy anyone trying to watch.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.