from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make or become stony or chalky by deposition of calcium salts.
- transitive v. To make or become inflexible and unchanging.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to make something hard and stony by impregnating with calcium salts
- v. to become hard and stony by impregnation with calcium salts
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To make stony or calcareous by the deposit or secretion of salts of lime.
- intransitive v. To become changed into a stony or calcareous condition, in which lime is a principal ingredient, as in the formation of teeth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make calcic; harden by secreting or depositing a salt of lime.
- To turn into bone or bony tissue; become hard like bone, as cartilage or membrane, by the deposition or secretion of a salt of lime.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. become impregnated with calcium salts
- v. convert into lime
- v. turn into lime; become calcified
- v. become inflexible and unchanging
Sorry, no etymologies found.