from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To throw into a state of confusion. See Synonyms at confuse.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To throw into a state of confusion; to befuddle or perplex.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- v. to cause to be confused; confuse emotionally.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. be confusing or perplexing to; cause to be unable to think clearly
- v. cause to be confused emotionally
Perhaps alteration of discompose.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
A 19th-century US coinage, probably based on discompose, discomfit, etc. (Wiktionary)