from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A design composed of one or more letters, typically the initials of a name, used as an identifying mark.
- transitive v. To mark with a design composed of one or more letters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A picture drawn in line only, before the colour and/or shading is applied; an outline sketch.
- n. A sentence consisting of only one line, or an epigram consisting of only one verse, of poetry.
- n. A design composed of one or more letters, often intertwined, used as an identifying mark of an individual or institution.
- v. To mark something with a monogram.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A character or cipher composed of two or more letters interwoven or combined so as to represent a name, or a part of it (usually the initials). Monograms are often used on seals, ornamental pins, rings, buttons, and by painters, engravers, etc., to distinguish their works.
- n. A picture in lines; a sketch.
- n. An arbitrary sign for a word.
- transitive v. To inscribe or ornament with a monogram.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One character in writing; a mark or design formed or consisting of one letter.
- n. Two or more of the letters of a name or word, or of the initials of several names or words, so combined as to form or appear to form a single character.
- n. A picture drawn in lines without color; a sketch.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a graphic symbol consisting of 2 or more letters combined (usually your initials); printed on stationery or embroidered on clothing
Louis Vuitton, with its distinctive LV monogram, is one on the most coveted brands in China and LVMH said its sales in the country were up 26-27% in local currency with the market accounting for 7% of group sales.
The monogram is shorter on the right side than it is on the left.
I personally enjoy the first initial monogram, which is why I gravitated towards the tea cup shown above.
The monogram is a J for my first name, a C for FI's first name and an H for his last name.
If we suppose that the so-called monogram arose as a combination of the
Several writers have, in their zeal for our religion, outrun their discretion, and gone so far as to assume that the existence of the so-called monogram of Christ upon this coin of the Emperor Decius is due to some Christian having been employed in turning out the coin in question, and having in _his_ zeal surreptitiously introduced a symbol of his faith.
All the foregoing references to the origin of the so-called monogram as
It is not known why he adopted this monogram, which is that of the Jesuits.
When he held it up Ralph glanced at it, and declared that the monogram was a perfect copy of the one on the watch.
These two letters formed what is known as the monogram of Constantine, so called -- not because it was the invention of this emperor, for it had been a familiar Christian symbol prior to his conversion -- but because of the great popularity it enjoyed from the date of its appearance on the imperial standards.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.