from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An ambiguous grammatical construction.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Ambiguous discourse; amphibology.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The use of ambiguities; quibbling.
- n. In logic, ambiguity in the meaning of a proposition, arising either from an uncertain syntax or from a figure of speech.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an ambiguous grammatical construction; e.g., `they are flying planes' can mean either that someone is flying planes or that something is flying planes
From Old French amphibolie, from Latin amphibolia, from Ancient Greek ἀμφιβολία ("ambiguity"). (Wiktionary)