from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small brown and white gazelle (Antidorcas marsupialis) of southern Africa, noted for its habit of repeatedly leaping high into the air when startled.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small, fast antelope native to southern Africa
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A South African gazelle (Gazella euchore) noted for its graceful form and swiftness, and for its peculiar habit of springing lightly and suddenly into the air. It has a white dorsal stripe, expanding into a broad patch of white on the rump and tail. Called also springer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A beautiful gazel, Gazella euchore, so called by the Dutch colonists of South Africa, where it abounds, from its agility in springing upward when alarmed or as it scours the plain in escaping from its pursuers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a South African gazelle noted for springing lightly into the air
A springbok is a gazelle founded mostlee in teh Souf Afrika, Nameebeea an teh Botswanana.
On the circulation coin the springbok has been replaced with an image of planet earth with the focus on Africa, as well as the words "Johannesburg World Summit 2002" and the WSSD logo.
(03 / 04 / 2009) The springbok is the only antelope species whose population is on the rise, according to a new review by the Red List for the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
While the springbok is the only antelope found to be on the rise, 31 percent of the antelopes 'populations remain stable. 62 percent have a downward trajectory, while not enough data is available for the remaining six percent.
The springbok is the only antelope species whose population is on the rise, according to a new review by the Red List for the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
"This land was included in the Karoo National Park to provide an appropriately large area of typical Karoo habitat where large populations of plainsgame such as springbok, eland, gemsbok and red hartebeest can develop," said the statement.
But did you know what a springbok was until I just told you?
It was a package deal offered in partnership with a South African outfit called Frontier Safaris -- the package allowed a duiker, a warthog, an impala, a blesbok, a gemsbok, two species of springbok, a bushbok, a wildebeest, and a kudu.
Then we ascend the other side, and gain the shadows of a wall where we stoop on pieces of shale and gulp water and chew springbok jerky, which though tasty sits like rubber in my belly.
Who would win in a fight between a lion and a springbok?
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.