American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of several large, long-eared, long-legged hares of the genus Lepus.
- v. To move or begin to move rapidly or suddenly: "A rear tire blew out and the car jackrabbited out of control” ( Sonny Kleinfield).
- adj. Moving or beginning to move in a sudden, rapid manner: won the race with a jackrabbit start.
- n. any of several large North American hares of the genus Lepus
- v. US To make a sudden, rapid movement
- v. go forward or start with a fast, sudden movement
- n. large hare of western North America
- Blend of jackass and rabbit (Wiktionary)
- jack(ass) (from its long ears) + rabbit. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The white-sided jackrabbit, which is actually a hare (genus Lepus) is called liebre blanca - white hare - in Mexico, where it is found from the northern border to the state of Jalisco.”
“The jackrabbit was a pest, but the cottontail was worth getting.”
“The jackalope is an imaginary animal of North American folklore (a so-called "fearsome critter") described as a jackrabbit with antelope horns or deer antlers and sometimes a pheasant's tail (and often hind legs).”
“But who knows, maybe a cantalope is similar to a jackalope, a semi-imaginary animal described as a jackrabbit with antelope horns.”
“He said it was hoppin around their parking lot like a "jackrabbit" !”
“You rent a device that plugs into your car and tracks the length and frequency of your trips and the time of day you hit the road, as well as "jackrabbit" starts and panic braking.”
“I had to move the little speed slider on my sewing machine from "jackrabbit" back down to "turtle.”
“Aggressive driving such as jackrabbit starts followed by screeching stops can cut your highway and city mileage.”
“The word jackalope is a portmanteau of "jackrabbit" and”
“Also, avoid "jackrabbit" starts and go easy on the brake pedal when stopping.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘jackrabbit’.
animals of interest
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Looking for tweets for jackrabbit.