from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various widely cultivated South American plants of the genus Petunia, having alternate, entire leaves and funnel-shaped flowers in colors from white to purple.
- n. A moderate to dark purple.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A genus of flowering plants, Petunia; most garden varieties are hybrids.
- n. A dark purple colour, like that of some petunia flowers.
- adj. Of a dark purple colour, like that of some petunia flowers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of solanaceous herbs with funnelform or salver-shaped corollas. Two species are common in cultivation, Petunia violacera, with reddish purple flowers, and Petunia nyctaginiflora, with white flowers. There are also many hybrid forms with variegated corollas.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of ornamental plants of the gamopetalous order Solanaceæ and the tribe Salpiglossidæ, distinguished by the five perfect stamens, funnelform corolla, and entire capsule-valves.
- n. [lowercase] A plant of this genus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous tropical herbs having fluted funnel-shaped flowers
- n. annual or perennial herbs or shrubs of tropical South America
I. Annakindt surly petunia is now available at Lulu. com, click on image.
Salpiglossis has been described as a petunia that a painter gazed upon, then decided to enhance its petals with more intricate markings.
UGA faculty will also study the water needs of different plants, such as petunia, poinsettia, hibiscus and hydrangea.
He didn't accomplish much, and people said shaking his hand was like manhandling a wilted petunia.
And most of the time, I ended up a crushed petunia, bludgeoned by the reality that my father would not ever be able to replace my mother.
Out onto the lawn, tempo increasing, she sucked up the flagstone walk, the rosebushes, the petunia bed, the sprinkler, the driveway, and the small Japanese car parked in the driveway: Oh, what a feeling!
Yesterday we noticed a new ally in our fight against the petunia eating bunnies.
That is why I am going to reconstitute my genitalia for you, my progressive petunia.
A famous description of Harrison's handshake is that it was "like a wilted petunia."
She believed in the circle of life, and often joked that she would come back as a petunia.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.