from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A double stitch forming an X in sewing and embroidery.
- n. Needlework made with X-shaped stitches.
- transitive v. To make or embroider with X-shaped stitches.
- intransitive v. To work in the fashion of X-shaped stitches.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A double stitch that forms a cross
- n. embroidery or needlework made using such stitches
- v. To embroider with such stitches
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A form of stitch, where the stitches are diagonal and in pairs, the thread of one stitch crossing that of the other.
- n. embroidery done in cross-stitch.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In needlework, a stitch of the form ×. It consists of two stitches of the same length, the one crossing the other in the middle.
- To sew or embroider with a cross-stitch; sew or fasten with cross-stitches.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. two stitches forming a cross or X
- n. embroidery done with pairs of stitches that cross each other
Sorry, no etymologies found.