Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of overflowing or inundating; inundation.
- n. The menstrual discharge when excessive; also, hemorrhage after childbirth.
- In an obsolete use, lavish or profuse.
- n. A method of applying water for irrigation by permitting it to spread over nearly level ground, with or without restraining checks or small dikes built of earth. In wild flooding the water is turned upon the field and guided by a hoe or shovel, without the previous construction of checks. In the check or block system the land is graded to a certain extent and the water controlled by checks or dikes.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The filling or covering with water or other fluid; overflow; inundation; the filling anything to excess.
- n. (Med.) An abnormal or excessive discharge of blood from the uterus.
- n. a technique used in behavior therapy; client is flooded with experiences of a particular kind until becoming either averse to them or numbed to them
“And I can tell you from my inability to get home from work tonight ... the flooding is a pretty big deal.”
“The Rio Lerma flooding is a mixed blessing of added water to Lake Chapala along with the disadvantage of added sediment.”
“AMIN: Gohar flicks through the TV channels to show us what he describes as a flooding of Egypt's satellite space.”
“Things, however, were trying for Nashville residents, among them country luminaries Kenny Chesney, Keith Urban, and Brad Paisley, who were affected by flooding from a storm.”
“The flooding is absolutely awful, and we owe the people there more attention.”
“Gulf Coast on Monday evening, but flooding from the storm's rain bands was already reported in at least one location, hours before Ida was expected to make landfall.”
“Even if Tomas retains its current incarnation as a depression, flooding is inevitable.”
“But if the potential for higher storm totals (around 3-4 or more) verifies, then flooding is a legitimate concern.”
“Minor to moderate coastal flooding is possible, as described by the National Weather Service in Wakefield, Va.”
“North Korea appears to have aided and joined with Iran in flooding the world with these counterfeit US 100 dollar bills.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘flooding’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
It's possible someone else has already made a list like this. Maybe their list includes piña coladas - I hope so. I'll be starting mine with a broken umbrella and slippery flip-flops, but feel free...
Looking for tweets for flooding.