American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Biology An organism characterized by polymorphism.
- n. Chemistry A specific crystalline form of compound that can crystallize in different forms.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In chem., a substance which crystallizes in two or more forms distinct from each other. See dimorphism and trimorphism.
- n. In biology, an organism exhibiting or characterized by polymorphism; an individual member of a species or other group which differs from other members of the same group to an unusual degree.
- n. biology Any organism that shows polymorphism
- n. chemistry, geology Any substance or mineral that forms different types of crystal
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Crystallog.) A substance capable of crystallizing in several distinct forms; also, any one of these forms. Cf. allomorph.
- n. an organism that can assume more than one adult form as in the castes of ants or termites
- poly- + -morph (Wiktionary)
“A genetically-engineered lifeform GELF known as a polymorph has gotten loose on the ship.”
“Because of the types of patents that expire beyond 2019 and the mixed track record of success with crystal polymorph patents, there is uncertainty on the exclusivity period for Revlimid beyond 2019," Wei wrote in a note to clients.”
“Revlimid is covered by 12 patents, including a patent covering the composition of Revlimid that expires in 2019 and a polymorph patent, covering another form of the compound, that expires in 2026.”
“Any alien species will either look completely human (Superman) or have the ability to polymorph into a human (Martian Manhunter).”
“The population of the original polymorph diminishes as it is converted into the new form: it is a “disappearing polymorph.””
“Another instance of the “disappearing polymorph” may be the anti-depressant, Paxil (U.S. brand name for the chemical paroxetine hydrochloride).”
“It converted the old form of the drug into a new polymorph, Form 2, that did not fight AIDS nearly as well.”
“Smithkline argued that it was a disappearing polymorph, that the hemihydrate form had not existed before they had created it in their labs, and that it was up to Apotex to remove the hemihydrate from its product or pay it a royalty.”
“In 1998 a more stable polymorph appeared in the American manufacturing plant.”
“Emohawk: Polymorph II is the sequel to Season 3's Polymorph although it also sees the return of Ace Rimmer (from Season 4's Dimension Jump) and Duane Dibley (from Season 5's Back to Reality) after the crew enrage a bunch of GELFs, who dispatch a new, more capable version of the polymorph after them in revenge.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘polymorph’.
pretty open-ended here—terms, ideas, lingo, technologies and phenomena (real or postulated) that are, were, should be or could be used in speculative fiction
my words. my mind. my gosh.
try not to enjoy it too much.
Words and things associated with Red Dwarf. The late 80's-early 90's Britcom.
A thing doesn't have to be real to develop its own scientific jargon.
a collection of terms fantastical and magical.
Looking for tweets for polymorph.