from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Poverty; neediness.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. extreme poverty or destitution
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The condition of being indigent; lack of estate, or means of comfortable subsistence; penury; poverty.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The condition of being indigent; insufficiency of means of subsistence; poverty; penury.
- n. Synonyms Penury, Want, etc. See poverty.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a state of extreme poverty or destitution
Middle English, late 14th century, from Old French indigence (13th century), from Latin indigentia, from indigentem, form of indigere ("to need"), from indu ("in, within") + egere ("be in need, want"). (Wiktionary)