from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or state of being a pauper.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the state of being a pauper; poverty
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being a pauper; the state of indigent persons requiring support from the community.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pauper condition; the condition of those who are destitute of the means of support and are a charge upon the community; dependence on the poor-rates or some similar fund for support, or the poverty which makes such dependence necessary.
- n. Paupers collectively.
- n. Synonyms Indigence, Destitution, etc. (see poverty), mendicancy. beggary.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a state of extreme poverty or destitution
Sorry, no etymologies found.