from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A superabundance; an excess.
- n. An excess of blood in the circulatory system or in one organ or area.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An excessive amount or number; an abundance.
- n. An excess of red blood cells or bodily humours.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Overfullness; especially, excessive fullness of the blood vessels; repletion; that state of the blood vessels or of the system when the blood exceeds a healthy standard in quantity; hyperæmia; -- opposed to anæmia.
- n. State of being overfull; excess; superabundance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, overfullness of blood; a redundant fullness of the blood-vessels.
- n. Overfullness in any respect; superabundance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. extreme excess
Late Latin plēthōra, from Greek, from plēthein, to be full; see pelə-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Late Latin plethora (earlier pletura), from Ancient Greek πληθώρη (plēthōrē, "fullness"), from πλήθω (plēthō, "I fill"). (Wiktionary)