American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Land with a soft muddy surface.
- n. A difficult or precarious situation; a predicament.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Soft, wet, boggy land that trembles under the foot; a marsh; a bog; a fen.
- n. Synonyms Slough, Bog, etc. See marsh.
- To entangle or sink in or as in a quagmire.
- n. A swampy, soggy area of ground.
- n. figuratively A perilous, mixed up and troubled situation; a hopeless tangle; a predicament.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Soft, wet, miry land, which shakes or yields under the feet.
- n. a soft wet area of low-lying land that sinks underfoot
- Recorded since 1579, from two virtual synonyms: obsolete quag ("bog, marsh") (a variant of Middle English quabbe ("a marsh, bog"), from Old English *cwabba ("shake, tremble like something soft and flabby"); cognate with Dutch kwab) + mire (from Middle English, from Old Norse mýrr, akin to Old English mōs ("marsh") and English moss). The sense "difficult situation, inextricable position" is recorded since 1775. (Wiktionary)
“To call recent storylines a quagmire would cause me to go look up ‘quagmire‘ and make sure I’m using it correctly “a difficult, precarious, or entrapping position”, yeah he’s had a few of those.”
“HEUVEL: John McCain is -- gives new meaning to the term quagmire as a warmonger, has an 82 percent American Conservative Union rating.”
“Long before the word quagmire was applied to Vietnam, Mark Twain used it to describe America's Philippines entanglement, which he vigorously opposed.”
“This quagmire is the legacy of the WORST PRESIDENT EVER.”
“About the other candidates, he said, excuse me, he was -- you know that Steve Martin thing, excuse me, he was the only major candidate who made the right judgment, and said, don't tell me this guy can't deal with national security when the Bush people and some of the Democrat candidates supported him in getting us into what he calls a quagmire, that's a Vietnam phrase.”
“He regrets that he chose the phrase 'tar baby,' rather than the word 'quagmire.”
“The only way of getting the economy out of the quagmire is by lowering public sector wages, said Rachlevsky.”
“Either course of action will bring short-term howls of recrimination from the right ... but this mini-surge deeper into the quagmire is going to sink the administration without question. declining 35 percent approval rating for management of the war in Afghanistan”
“The whole middle east quagmire is as a result of the U.S. policy in backing the most unbending nation in the world.”
“Unfortunately it seems like the Democratic quagmire is full of emotion and very little reasoning.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘quagmire’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Ever get stuck with the random bunch of letters and a q and not know any words? Well, maybe this will help.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
inspired by Mistakes Were Made. Words for things going wrong in a manner particularly violent, stupid, soul-crushing, boggling, grandiose, or any combination of these qualities.
things you may fall victim to.
goto things (good)
( randomness, events, situations, nouns )
These words have been posted on my vocabulary tumblr, wickedcoolwords.tumblr.com!
words that pique my interest either by meaning, pronunciation, or spelling, and words that otherwise tickle my fancy!!
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
unfathomably, glice, cuh, fab, ciggaty, doll, thuggin, oxymoronic, pineapple, succubutt, griming, cheeky and 3063 more...
Looking for tweets for quagmire.