American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To bargain, as over the price of something; dicker: "He preferred to be overcharged than to haggle” ( W. Somerset Maugham).
- v. To argue in an attempt to come to terms.
- v. To cut (something) in a crude, unskillful manner; hack.
- v. Archaic To harass or worry by wrangling.
- n. An instance of bargaining or arguing.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To hack roughly; cut or chop in an unskilful manner; mangle in cutting.
- To tease; worry.
- To bargain in a petty and tedious manner; higgle; stick at small matters; cavil.
- n. A haggling or chaffering.
- To hail.
- v. intransitive To argue for a better deal, especially over prices with a seller.
- v. transitive To hack (cut crudely)
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To cut roughly or hack; to cut into small pieces; to notch or cut in an unskillful manner; to make rough or mangle by cutting.
- v. To be difficult in bargaining; to stick at small matters; to chaffer; to higgle.
- n. The act or process of haggling.
- n. an instance of intense argument (as in bargaining)
- v. wrangle (over a price, terms of an agreement, etc.)
- Frequentative of dialectal hag, to chop, hack, from Middle English haggen, from Old Norse höggva; see kau- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“And I saw Sideways and didn't notice the strange pronunciation of "haggle" -- it may be there, but if so it's an accident of the moment.”
“They haggle, which is normal," says Sydney luxury car dealer Nasser Elkordi of the grim-faced sellers of once prized Porches and Range Rovers.”
“Clearly, some of our customers feel that we can 'haggle' and secure a much better price than they can.”
“Medvedev says he will not "haggle" over Iran and the missile shield.”
“Medvedev said he would not "haggle" on Iran and the missile shield.”
“I never bargain "--" haggle, "it would seem, is the proper word.”
“Which is regrettable, given that his first comment was on the mark: the smart haggle is a Labor-Likud-Kadima grand coalition that reforms the electoral system and limits the power of the smaller parties to demand payoffs.”
“When you haggle with the goal to achieve ‘X’, you start with ‘X++’ and give ground to your objective.”
“As Hungarian leaders haggle over what will be the country's first new constitution since it gained independence in 1989, they would do well to ensure that their charter does just that.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘haggle’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
all those wonderful Britsy words that end with a double consonant followed by 'le'
my wordnic words
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
Words that I come across, and go blank, or want to clarify.
GRE , GMAT , TOEFL , IELTS , SAT 。。。
Ah, yeah, this is a list of words that I think sound pretty funny... or dumb, either way, I like 'em so, yeah.
Looking for tweets for haggle.