American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar. See Table at calendar.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The fourth month of the year, containing thirty days. With poets, April is the type of inconstancy, from the changeableness of its weather.
- n. The fourth month of the Gregorian calendar, following March and preceding May. Abbreviation: Apr or Apr.
- n. A female given name for somebody born in April; used since early 20th century.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The fourth month of the year.
- n. Fig.: With reference to April being the month in which vegetation begins to put forth, the variableness of its weather, etc.
- n. the month following March and preceding May
- From Middle English apprile, re-Latinized from aueril, from Old French avrill, from Latin aprīlis ("of the month of the goddess Venus"), perhaps based on Etruscan Apru, from Ancient Greek Αφροδίτη (Afrodíte, "Venus"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Latin aprīlis. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Semana Santa (April ~April 3 - 12, Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday), which is Mexico's second largest holiday.”
“•April Fool's Day, April 1, 2009 is 04 / 01 / 2009, or 4012009, which has”
“April, without entering the cottage, hangs over the hungry nestlings watching them.] _April.”
“April comes along singing, and stands outside and out of sight to finish her song.] _April.”
“IV. iii.41 (352,6) To the April day again] That is, _to the wedding day_, called by the poet, satirically, _April day_, or _fool's day_.”
“The open streams API launched in April is a significant example.”
“Consumer prices rose 2.8 percent in April from a year earlier, the fastest pace in 18 months, and property prices jumped 12.8 percent, the statistics bureau said in statements today.”
“The cancellation of an invitation to speak to a legitimate campus group at Wyoming in April is a case in point.”
“Looking at the success rate of Senate predictions made in April is a sobering experience.”
“Marino, who has been detained as a danger to the community since his arrest in April, is still viewed by the feds as one of three family capos who serve on a ruling panel that now runs the beleaguered crime family - a factor that obviously has some bearing on the government's hard-nosed tactics.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘April’.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
Looking for tweets for April.