from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A mechanical device; a gadget.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A machine that is complicated and precarious.
- n. Any object.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A contrivance; a new-fangled device; -- used scornfully.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A device; a contrivance: used slightingly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a device or control that is very useful for a particular job
Perhaps mock-Latinate blend of contrive and trap1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Originally a Western US English dialectical word. Unknown origin. Perhaps from contrive + trap + -tion (Wiktionary)