from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of assorting; separation into classes.
- n. A collection of various kinds; a variety.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A collection of varying but related items.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Act of assorting, or distributing into sorts, kinds, or classes.
- n. A collection or quantity of things distributed into kinds or sorts; a number of things assorted.
- n. A collection containing a variety of sorts or kinds adapted to various wants, demands, or purposes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of assorting or distributing into sorts, kinds, or classes, or of selecting and suiting.
- n. A collection of things assorted: as, an assortment of goods; “an assortment of paintings,”
- n. A class or group into which objects are assorted.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of distributing things into classes or categories of the same type
- n. a collection containing a variety of sorts of things
Sorry, no etymologies found.