from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A mixture of dissimilar ingredients; a jumble.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A collection of miscellaneous things; a jumble.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mixed mass; a medley. See hotchpot.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as hotchpotch.
- n. In law, a commixture of lands. See hotchpot, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a motley assortment of things
- n. a theory or argument made up of miscellaneous or incongruous ideas
Alteration of Middle English hochepot, from Old French, stew; see hotchpot.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)