from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A confused or disordered state or collection; a jumble.
  • noun A confused noise; a clatter.
  • intransitive verb To fill or spread over in a disorderly manner.
  • intransitive verb To make disorderly or hard to use by filling or covering with objects.
  • intransitive verb To run or move with bustle and confusion.
  • intransitive verb To make a clatter.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • To clot; coagulate.
  • To become clotted or coagulated.
  • noun A heap or collection of things lying in confusion; confusion; litter; disorder.
  • To crowd together in disorder; fill with things in confusion: often with up: as, to clutter the things all together; to clutter up the house.
  • To make a bustle or disturbance.
  • To jumble words together in speaking, clipping syllables and dropping consonants.
  • noun Confused noise; bustle; clatter; turmoil.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • transitive verb obsolete To clot or coagulate, as blood.
  • intransitive verb To make a confused noise; to bustle.
  • noun A confused collection; hence, confusion; disorder.
  • noun Clatter; confused noise.
  • transitive verb To crowd together in disorder; to fill or cover with things in disorder; to throw into disorder; to disarrange.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun a confused disordered jumble of things
  • noun background echos, from clouds etc, on a radar screen
  • verb to fill something with clutter
  • verb obsolete, intransitive To clot or coagulate, like blood.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun unwanted echoes that interfere with the observation of signals on a radar screen
  • verb fill a space in a disorderly way
  • noun a confused multitude of things


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Probably from Middle English cloteren, to clot, from clot, lump, from Old English clott.]


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word clutter.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.