from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To disarrange or rumple; dishevel.
- n. A disheveled mass, as of hair.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To put into disorder; to tumble; to touse; to muss.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To put into disorder; to tumble; to touse.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To pull about roughly; plague or tease good-naturedly by pulling about: as, to tousle the girls.
- To put into disorder, as by pulling about roughly: dishevel; rumple: as, to tousle one's hair.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. disarrange or rumple; dishevel
Middle English touselen, frequentative of tousen, to pull roughly.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)