from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A collection or mixture of unrelated things; a hodgepodge.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A collection containing a variety of miscellaneous things
- v. To mix together, especially in a confused way.
- v. To become mixed together.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hodgepodge or hotchpotch; a confused jumble.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hotchpotch; a medley.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a motley assortment of things
Middle English misse-masche, probably reduplication of mash, soft mixture; see mash.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old English as reduplication of “mash” (Wiktionary)