American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One of the books in a work of several volumes.
- n. A book, especially a large or scholarly one.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A volume forming a part of a larger work; any volume, especially a ponderous one.
- n. ⟨ See toom.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. As many writings as are bound in a volume, forming part of a larger work; a book; -- usually applied to a ponderous volume.
- n. a (usually) large and scholarly book
- From French, from Latin tomus ("section of larger work"), from Ancient Greek τόμος (tomos, "section, roll of papyrus, volume"), from τέμνω (temnō, "I cut, separate"). (Wiktionary)
- French, from Latin tomus, from Greek tomos, a cutting, section, from temnein, to cut; see tem- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The title of his tome translates as "Revolutionary Islam," and parts of it read like fan mail to those Muslim heroes who replaced Marx and Lenin on the Jackal's hit parade.”
“Highlights here include "A Sort of Loving" (where "rapping about dope" becomes a gateway to more insightful conversation), "I Hate You, Silas Marner" (which uses the title tome as a contrast with Joseph Heller's counterculture war hit), and "The Valedictorian" (an attempt to reconfigure recent student uprisings and nonconformity into the half hour TV setting).”
“It turns out that the tome is incomplete however, and Brendan sets off on an adventure to finish it.”
“The invaluable 362-page tome is now available wherever books are sold (check out pp 73-75).”
“Looks like the Palin tome has a new title, "Going Rogue, an American LIE".”
“This tome is unique in that it covers seven decades, from Frank Lloyd Wright's Hollyhock House in 1920 all the way to Frank”
“Victor pulled the black tome from the clawlike grip of the dead man.”
“Sometimes it's a nice break from the Martin tome, and I can read a short story in two breaks.”
“The NPF tome is Basil Bunting, Man and Poet, a lovely book, indeed.”
“Keep in mind that Rita Cosby, the author of this tome, is out of work.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘tome’.
Music brings silence's to raging thoughts and temperament , calm, as it is our object of definite purpose.
Loved for their ingenuity, an exact description, or simply for the pure joy of it.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
Well-known phrases in Irish English that aren't understood in American English.
words on words. yyep.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
unfathomably, glice, cuh, fab, ciggaty, doll, thuggin, oxymoronic, pineapple, succubutt, griming, cheeky and 3063 more...
List of most of the words I've learned
Words that I come across, and go blank, or want to clarify.
A list of words that I stumbled upon while reading.
Looking for tweets for tome.