from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Chromium or a chromium alloy.
- n. Something plated with a chromium alloy.
- n. A pigment containing chromium.
- transitive v. To plate with chromium.
- transitive v. To tan or dye with a chromium compound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Another name for chromium when used to plate other metals.
- n. The basic structural elements used in a graphical user interface, such as window frames and scroll bars, as opposed to the content.
- v. To plate with chrome.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as chromium.
- transitive v. To treat with a solution of potassium bichromate, as in dyeing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Chromium.
- In dyeing, to subject to a bath of bichromate of potash.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. plate with chromium
- v. treat with a chromium compound
- n. another word for chromium when it is used in dyes or pigments
French, from Greek khrōma, color (from the brilliant colors of chromium compounds).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From chromium (Wiktionary)