from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A low-altitude cloud formation consisting of a horizontal layer of gray clouds.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A principal, low-level cloud type in the form of a gray layer with a rather uniform base, usually not associated with precipitation, and capable of producing corona phenomena and a weak, uniform luminance; abbreviated St.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A form of clouds in which they are arranged in a horizontal band or layer. See cloud.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A continuous horizontal sheet of cloud, generally of uniform thickness.
- n. See cloud, 1.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large dark low cloud
From Latin strātus, past participle of sternere, to stretch, extend.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)