from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A dense, white, fluffy, flat-based cloud with a multiple rounded top and a well-defined outline, usually formed by the ascent of thermally unstable air masses.
- n. A pile, mound, or heap.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large white puffy cloud that develops through convection. On a hot, humid day, they can form towers and even become cumulonimbus clouds.
- n. A mound or heap.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the four principal forms of clouds. Seecloud.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The kind of cloud which appears in the form of rounded heaps or hills, snowy-white at top with a darker horizontal base, characteristic of mild, calm weather, especially in summer; the summer-day cloud. See cut under cloud, 1.
- n. In anatomy, a heap of cells surrounding a ripe ovum in the Graafian follicle, and constituting the discus proligerus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a collection of objects laid on top of each other
- n. a globular cloud
Latin, heap; see keuə- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)