American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- The capital of Ukraine, in the north-central part of the country on the Dnieper River southwest of Moscow. One of the oldest cities in northern Europe, it was a commercial center by the fifth century and became the capital of Kievan Russia in the ninth century. Invaded by the Mongols in 1240, it passed to Lithuania in the 14th century, became part of the Russian empire in 1686, and was ceded to the USSR in 1920. Population: 2,660,000.
- n. The capital of Ukraine
- n. The medieval principality centred on Kiev; the Kievan state or Kievan Rus
- n. Kiev province (oblast) of Ukraine
- n. capital and largest city of the Ukraine; a major manufacturing and transportation center
- Russian Киев (Kíjev), from the name of a legendary founder, Кий (Kij). Compare Ukrainian Київ (Kýïv), from Кий (Kyj). (see Kyi, Shchek and Khoryv in Wikipedia) (Wiktionary)
“KIEV, Ukraine — U.S. Vice President Joe Biden arrived in Kiev on Monday to pledge continued support for Ukraine and was expected to calm fears ...”
“KIEV (Bloomberg) - Ukraine will pay Russia on time for February gas deliveries, Fuel and Energy Minister Yury Prodan told reporters Monday in Kiev.”
“MINSK/KIEV, April 17 (Reuters) - Belarus closed its airspace on Saturday and Ukraine's Kiev and other airports were closed to flights because of the huge volcanic ash cloud drifting over Europe, aviation authorities and airline officials said.”
“KIEV, Ukraine -- Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko once commanded such respect that hundreds of thousands of protesters poured into the streets of Kiev when he lost a fraudulent election.”
“KIEV, Ukraine - Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko once commanded such respect that hundreds of thousands of protesters poured intothe streets of Kiev when he lost a fraudulent election.”
“MOSCOW / KIEV (Reuters) - Russian gas flows to Croatia have fallen by 7 percent because of the deepening row between Moscow and Kiev that has placed more strain on natural gas supplies to Europe, Croatia's pipeline operator said on Monday.”
“MOSCOW / KIEV, Jan 5 (Reuters) - Russian gas flows to Croatia have fallen by 7 percent because of the deepening row between Moscow and Kiev that has placed more strain on natural gas supplies to Europe, Croatia's pipeline operator said on Monday.”
“KIEV, Ukraine -- European Union officials are due in Kiev to discuss the natural gas cutoff by Russia that has led to supply disruptions in Europe.”
“MOSCOW / KIEV (Reuters) - A deal to restore Russian gas supplies via Ukraine to Europe appeared on the verge of collapse after Moscow rejected additions by Kiev as a 'mockery of common sense'.”
“MOSCOW / KIEV (Reuters) - Supplies of Russian gas via Ukraine to Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey stopped flowing on Tuesday because of a dispute between Moscow and Kiev over gas prices, officials in Sofia said.”
‘Kiev’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Kiev.